There are two modules of the test that are offered and Candidates may choose either the Academic Module or the General Training Module :
- The Academic Module is intended for those wishing to study in universities and other institutions.
- The General Training Module is intended for those planning to have work experience, or the one who wish to immigrate.
- A variety of accents and writing styles are presented in text materials in order to minimise linguistic bias. The test focuses on "International English", which includes British English, American English and other varieties.
- IELTS tests the ability to speak, read, listen and write in English.
- Two test formats can be chosen from - Academic and General Training.
- Band scores are used for each language sub-skill (Speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing). The Band Scale ranges from 1 ("Non User") to 9 ("Expert User").