IELTS reading test, you need global as well as macro reading skills. This means you should to be able to do the following :
- Grasp the big picture as well as the minor points.
- Distinguish facts from opinions and attitudes
- Identify the overall purpose of the passage
- Follow the main arguments in a written text
- Locate specific details and relevant information
- Summarize the key points
- Represent written information in graphic form
- Infer meaning
- Use accurate spelling and correct grammar
- Reading for detail
On the IELTS, you will need to use all three techniques at different stages. For example, you may start by skimming through the entire text to get a general idea of the passage. Next, you may look at the questions to see what kind of information is required. Then, you may scan the text for a specific piece of information or read a particular section in greater detail to discover the information you need to answer the question correctly.
If you are weak in these areas or read slowly, there are a number of excellent general ESL and specific IELTS books which can help you strengthen your reading techniques, so you can complete the test correctly and successfully within the one hour time limit.